Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss book summary review.
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It by Chris Voss
“A former international hostage negotiator for the FBI offers a new field-tested approach to high-stakes negotiations – whether in the boardroom or at home.
Never Split the Difference takes you inside the world of high-stakes negotiations and into Voss’ head, revealing the skills that helped him and his colleagues succeed where it mattered most: in saving lives. In this practical guide, he shares the nine effective principles – counterintuitive tactics and strategies – you, too, can use to become more persuasive in both your professional and personal lives.
Continue reading “Book notes: Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss”
The Secrets of Power Negotiating book summary by Marlo Yonocruz
The Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson
Synopsis: “Negotiation is a skill that can bring you vast success in all aspects of your life. When you’re a skilled negotiator, you can get the best possible price on everything you purchase or sell, and you can deal with salespeople or clients.
We’re all negotiating all the time in all kinds of everyday situations: parents negotiating with their children; employees negotiating with each other, with subordinates, with bosses; customers negotiating with salespeople or service providers. And with The Secrets of Power Negotiating, you’ll always have the upper hand in every negotiating situation in which you find yourself.
For example, the program gives you specific ways to:
- Get the best possible price when you buy or sell a house, a car, a business, real estate, or any negotiable item.
- Get a raise or promotion.
- Keep employees happy without giving in to unreasonable demands.
- Get a new and better deal with your landlord or mortgage loan officer.
- Stop being stonewalled by store clerks, petty bureaucrats, service and repair people, and others.
- Get more cooperation from your corporate peers and subordinates.
- Get bigger loans and better terms from your banker.
- Uncover valuable “hidden information.”
- Be more confident in virtually any interpersonal situation.
- Plus many other situations you run into in your daily life.” -Amazon
I’m a huge believer in the benefits of learning negotiation principles. In the company I currently work at, I worked in the negotiations department for almost a year when I first started and developed a ton of great skill sets I still use today. Understanding influence, social dynamics, and the principles on how to work with others is extremely invaluable, which is why I decided to add this to my reading list this month.
Continue reading “Book notes: The Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson”